Though the castle is ruined, there is still enough surviving of the huge and sprawling edifice to give a sense of how impressive it would have once appeared. The complex is centered around a large three-story keep, which serves as its main defensive stronghold.
The grounds of the castle can be visited as part of self-guided tours, with interpretation panels helping to enrich visitors’ knowledge of the site. To access the keep—which offers excellent views of the estate, the River Boyne, and the surrounding landscape—you’ll need to join a guided tour. Many travelers visit Trim Castle as part of day tours from Dublin, exploring nearby sights in the Boyne Valley such as the Hill of Tara and Newgrange.
Things to know before you go
- The keep at Trim Castle is not wheelchair accessible, though the grounds are accessible via hard gravel paths.
- There is paid parking near the site with a 2-hour parking limit.
- There is no restaurant or shop at the castle, so you may want to bring your own water and provisions for a picnic.
How to get there
Trim Castle is situated in the town of Trim in County Meath. Driving from Dublin takes about 40–50 minutes. Bus Éireann service no. 11 runs between Busáras (Dublin’s central bus station) and the Trim Castle.
When to get there
The castle is open year round though opening days and hours vary according to the season, so it’s worth checking them in advance of your visit. Summer is the peak visitor season and tours may be full; arrive early to ensure your spot.
Discover the Ancient Sites of the Boyne Valley
Situated northwest of Dublin, Ireland’s Boyne Valley is littered with historical sites, many of which can be easily visited in conjunction with a trip to Trim Castle. Take a tour of well-known Neolithic monuments such as Newgrange, Knowth, and Dowth, or explore the ancient seat of Ireland’s high kings at the Hill of Tara.
- Aktivitäten in Belfast
- Aktivitäten in Limerick
- Aktivitäten in Galway
- Aktivitäten in Shannon
- Aktivitäten in Liverpool
- Aktivitäten in Cork
- Aktivitäten in Cobh
- Aktivitäten in Killarney
- Aktivitäten in Manchester
- Aktivitäten in Kenmare
- Aktivitäten in Cardiff
- Aktivitäten in Ring of Kerry
- Aktivitäten in Westirland
- Aktivitäten in Nordengland
- Aktivitäten in Südwestirland
- Der Hügel von Tara (Teamhair)
- Kells Monastic Site
- Tayto Park
- Castletown House
- Loughcrew Cairns (Loughcrew Passage Tombs)
- Monasterboice (Mainistir Bhuithe)
- Dublin Phoenix Park
- Dubliner Zoo
- Kilmainham Gaol
- Glasnevin Friedhofsmuseum
- Irisches Museum für moderne Kunst (IMMA)
- National Museum of Ireland - Dekorative Kunst & Geschichte
- Jameson Distillery Bow St.
- St. Michan Kirche