Any exploration of La Orotava Valley should start in the historic town of the same name. Walk through the streets to admire the 16th, 17th, and 18th-century architecture. Be sure to stop at the Mirador del Humboldt viewpoint, which offers an expansive panoramic view over the valley below.
While it’s possible to visit the valley independently, it’s often more convenient to do so as part of a guided tour. Full-day island tours around Tenerife often pass through the valley, with stops at other scenic and cultural points of interest, like Los Gigantes cliffs and Candaleria's Basilica. Adventure travelers have 141 hiking trails and another eight thematic trails to choose from.
Things to know before you go
- Wear sturdy shoes and bring plenty of water if you plan to do some hiking in the valley.
- Don’t forget to pack sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat.
- Amenities in town include numerous shops and restaurants, as well as banks and ATMs.
How to get there
While the easiest way to explore the valley is by car, it’s possible to reach the historic town of La Orotava by taking a bus from Puerto de la Cruz, running every 15 minutes or so. Taxis are also abundant and inexpensive.
When to get there
Come during the annual Feast of Corpus Christi, when carpets of flowers are laid out in front of the town hall. Spring and autumn tend to be the best seasons for hiking in the valley.
Teide National Park
Teide National Park, the largest and oldest national park in the Canary Islands and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, extends right to the edge of La Orotava and offers some of the island’s best hiking trails for visitors of all ability levels. Guided half and full-day hiking tours take in some of the park’s main points of interest, including Pico Viejo volcano, Los Roques de Garcia rock formations, and Llano de Ucanca. It’s also possible to take a cable car to the top of Mount Teide, the world’s third-highest volcano.
- Aktivitäten in Kanarische Inseln
- Aktivitäten in Gran Canaria
- Aktivitäten in La Palma
- Aktivitäten in Fuerteventura
- Aktivitäten in Puerto del Rosario
- Aktivitäten in Lanzarote
- Aktivitäten in Arrecife
- Aktivitäten in Funchal
- Aktivitäten in Calheta
- Aktivitäten in Agadir
- Aktivitäten in Essaouira
- Aktivitäten in Marrakesch
- Aktivitäten in Madeira
- Aktivitäten in Atlantikküste
- Aktivitäten in Zentral Marokko
- Loro Park (Loro Parque)
- Weingut Monje (Bodegas Monje)
- Pyramiden des ethnografischen Parks und des Botanischen Gartens von Güímar (Pirámides de Güímar)
- Mt. Teide (El Teide)
- Teide-Seilbahn (Teleférico del Teide)
- Teide-Nationalpark (Parque Nacional del Teide)
- La Caldera
- Drago Park (Parque del Drago)
- Los Roques de García
- La Laguna
- Museum für Wissenschaft und Kosmos (Museo de las Ciencias y el Cosmos)
- Auditorio de Tenerife (Auditorium von Teneriffa)
- Museum für Natur und Archäologie (MUNA)